You would love to get that promotion, or maybe you’re in search of that elusive raise. Perhaps you simply want to secure your career in this down economic time. But whatever the motive, you are looking for ways to impress your supervisor.
Well, you could use Excel. Excel is a very powerful program; there is a lot to learn. We are not going to go over everything you can do with Excel here, but you will find out a few ways to boost your efficiency and maybe get some recognition as well.
- Hiding Information: You may wonder why you would want to hide specific information in a spreadsheet. Well, suppose the spreadsheet which includes all your data about the company also has everyone’s salary. That is confidential information that you don’t want to reveal at the meeting. Simple hide the column or row by clicking the related number or letter to highlight it, then right-click on that highlighted row or column and select the Hide option from the popup menu. You can then Unhide the row or column in the same way once the meeting has ended.
- Timestamping: If you’d like to attach a date to your spreadsheet, you can use the Timestamp feature. Just hold Ctrl as you press the semicolon key. If you would like the current date and time hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys while pressing the semicolon.
- A Better-Looking Spreadsheet: You can spruce up a boring spreadsheet with Excel’s Themes option. You can find this option in Excel’s Ribbon. Simply click on it, and you’ll discover a variety of different fonts and colors which you can use on your previously boring spreadsheets.
- Tracking Trends: This is only applicable for those who have a more up to date version of Excel. The feature is called Sparklines and with it you can create charts that relate trends in the information in your spreadsheet. One way this can be used is to quickly and easily see how many software bundles your company’s salespeople sold in the first quarter of 2011.
- Conditional Formatting: This feature allows formatting only in cells that meet the requirements that you choose. For instance you could chose to have any dollar amount over 1,000 be a particular color.